Monday 11 January 2016

Publication - Binding

When setting up the pages of the publication for binding I made sure to have the bottom of the pages aligned as well as possible because there was more room for trimming the pages down at the top than at the bottom, so the bottom right corner was pretty perfect.





















This meant that the top left corner was always going to be less than perfect because of the mis-alignment from the printing. I was hoping this wouldn't be a problem because I could trim the two sides that need cleaning up. However, the book-binding technician suggested that because of how thin the edges of the pages with the holes in were, this could risk the integrity of the binding and the individual pages. Because of this I decided to leave the book in the mis-alignment, even though it's a bit more imperfect than I'd have liked it to be.





















Retrespectively this was because I made the holes too big as I wanted to make sure that the copy of the essay would fit inside the gap even if the gaps were in pages that were mis-aligned when they were bound. This meant that the copy of my essay fit in comfortably. 





















I also put a little too much glue on the spine during the binding process, which left a slight mark on the back cover. This isn't too detrimental however, and adds slightly to the imperfect, aged aesthetic I wanted to get.





















I also found that the pressure of the clamps holding the book together while the glue was setting damaged the print quality on the back cover ever so slightly, but this only adds to the aged aesthetic the stock provides.





















The binding of the essay went very smoothly, the spine was almost perfect.





















There was a slight problem in that I'd made the cover page slightly too short, but this is only a minor issue.





















The clamps holding together the book mustn't have been quite as tight, as they didn't damage the quality of the printing at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment