Friday 8 January 2016

Publication - Laser Cutting

When I was trimming down the pages of the publication I couldn't be accurate enough to cut the indents out to allow space for the essay to sit in because the gap I'd left myself was very small. Had I made the gap any larger the pages would've been too flimsy to hold the copy of my dissertation in place.















To get around this I bought some thicker card that was a similar colour to the stock I used and laser cut the indents out, making them far more precise and much sturdier than the ones that I would've been left with from cutting them out from the 150gsm stock. Unfortunately there were lots of burn marks left on some of the indents, so some of the pages won't be as clean as I'd have liked them to be.















I also tried burning the title into the cover page. This didn't work because the 220gsm stock I used for the cover was still too thin.















Having tried numerous times with various different settings on the laser, I found a result that I liked and found that when I backed it against another piece off the 220gsm paper it not only had an aged look from the burn marks, but also got the debossed look that I liked about my copy of On The Suffering of the World, so I ended up being pleased with this despite it not being exactly how I wanted it. 















This in itself is quite reminiscent of a passage from Lee Spinks' book referring to the behaviour of the Ubermensch:

The Overman 'Seizes the right to new values' by replacing every traditional law or 'Thou shalt' with the affirmation of 'I will' - Spinks, 2003, p124

No comments:

Post a Comment